Understanding & Analysing Accounts Course
Who is it for?
This course will be extremely useful for anyone whose role involves reviewing or analysing financial information.
I now have a better understanding of the impact of setting a business strategy.
The practical nature of this course was extremely helpful and incredibly well focused to our needs, engaging me from beginning to end.
I am getting more involved with the financial elements of projects and this has given me far more confidence in that respect. The trainer was very open and approachable.
The course raised my awareness significantly and provided me with the tools to evaluate the financial strength of our suppliers and clients.
Use of real life internal examples was very helpful. Will make loan decisions easier.
The Trainers understand our business and needs so well that it is like they are part of our team rather than external Trainers.
The Trainer was dynamic, open, friendly but professional. This course provided great value to our organisation.
Phil quickly understood my own development needs whilst also understanding how they fit into the wider financial context. This was invaluable.
Excellent – I’m amazed by how much I’ve learnt about the accounts and how they can be used in decision making.
Collaborative, engaging, informative, team driven, extremely valuable and a great link between finance and operations.
The published statutory accounts or internal management accounts can give some excellent information about the financial performance of a business, but reading it only at face value can give a misleading impression. A true, detailed understanding of the financial statements is crucial when it comes to making important decisions about which direction your business moves in, which supplier to work with, what the financial position of potential customers looks like, who to lend money to and so on.
This course covers a comprehensive review of the financial statements, digging deeper into the numbers, considering how the numbers may have been manipulated to create a particular impression as well as the limitations of the accounts that it is important to be aware of. Course participants will be encouraged to create a personal action plan at the end of this course to consider how they will turn elements of the course into reality once they are back in their work environment.
We would be delighted to tailor this course to your organisation and the specific objectives of the course participants – contact us for more details!
- Accounts structure and terminology
- Analysing the key elements of a Profit and Loss Account including sales, gross profit, operating profit, EBITDA(R) and ratios.
- Undertaking a similar analysis of the component parts of the Balance Sheet (Statement of Financial Position) and the relevant financial performance ratios.
- Consideration of how the statements may be manipulated and the effect on the numbers including areas such as accounting adjustments, depreciation and amortisation, timings of key decisions, organisational policies and culture
- Using trends as a technique to analyse performance
- Limitations of the information available from the financial statements and knowing the right questions to ask in order to probe the facts behind the figures